Friday, 15 April 2016

We finally have a mini holiday

This has taken a while to write as I've been without a laptop but I've got new one.

The Easter holidays are upon us and we had planned to spend the two weeks in Norfolk and Suffolk however the weather had other ideas! that and finances were a bit crap.

By the end of the first week and after daily weather checks on various weather apps and websites, there was a few nice dry days on the east coast of Yorkshire. We had our last £55, £20 of which had to feed Betsy.
Friday afternoon I packed all the boys a bag and started gathering all the bits and bobs we would need, food, drink and plenty of 2l Tesco value bottles of water.
Saturday morning we set off for Hull. Firstly we stopped off for fuel for Betsy, that's when OH noticed a water leak!!! Him knowing about these things took us to another petrol station he knew and asked if they had anything that fixes it they recommended a motor factors chain nearby. off we went again and found something to hopefully fix the leak on the water pump. This changed the route slightly, not wanting to put too much stress on the water pump we avoided the M62 and took the other roads. I think that the children enjoyed this more.
We saw allsorts of things, the boys enjoyed the power stations. I convinced them some time ago that they made clouds, we normally see them from a distance and its quite believable. We passed Kellingley colliery and pointed out to the boys that it had been on the news recently and that it had closed down.
As we approached Hull the boys got really excited at the sight of a ship being loaded with bales of waste. we soon got through and too the Deep, we have a year pass which runs out in May, it was almost lunchtime and it was busy.
The parking attendant directed us to some overflow parking which was free.

We got out and joined the queues, having been a few times we knew our way around. the boys picked up a animal superpower trail sheet from the beginning and we wandered through. I'll tell you now I love jellyfish, I'd have a tank at home if I could.

We zipped through the prehistoric bit and when we reached the lagoon it was very busy the guide was talking about the different fish and feeding them.



The boys managed to find a little spot so they could see he fish and we took plenty of pictures.

when the talk had finished we moved slowly round to the bottom of the lagoon tank which was coral reef and I like that view a full height of the coral and the fish, so much to look at. Ethan decided that he wanted to sit cross legged and watch the fish there.
We continued through admiring the fish, filling in our trail sheets.
There were so many lovely fish and I loved watching the jellyfish and I think the Axolotl salamander was adorable.
On the way out we took the stairs by the endless ocean tank so we could see the amazing fish especially the green sawfish.
I have live picture clip too if it works

We left and the sun had come out, we made our way to Betsy for a spot of lunch. I spotted that the mince was still frozen so OH put it on the dash to defrost in the sun.
I made sandwiches for us all and put the kettle on for a quick coffee before we took a walk around Hull.
We ended up at the Streetlife museum, we came here last year but the little one slept through the first time now he is three he can enjoy the exhibits more. we all enjoyed looking at all the different transport they went into a tram and sat on the seats, they then went into a signal box and looked at all the levers in awe.
the replica shop displays were very interesting how packaging has changed and how some things just don't exist an more.
When we left we passed the Hull and East Yorkshire museum which I will admit doesn't look like much from the outside but we thought we'd give it a go since we were here anyway. I'm so glad we did, I thoroughly recommend it.
its sort of like a snapshot of history, we were faced with a wooly mammoth, we travelled through the prehistoric to the bronze age looking at tools and wooden carved figures. we then wandered through to the iron age where there is a full size reconstruction of part of a settlement. The romans came next, this was a beautiful display that as made to look like the centre of a Roman settlement, beautiful mosaics were all over. We then moved upstairs to the Viking and Saxon gallery, Ben is studying Anglo Saxons in school so we payed a lot of attention here and took lots of photos too. We moved on to middle ages then Tudors and Stuarts.
These a few pictures I took of a ferriby boat which is from the bronze age and kept in a pressurised room.



We made our way back to Betsy to head up to Bridlington.
When we arrived we parked up on the sea front towards the southern end. it was getting on a bit and everyone was hungry so I fired up the cooker and put the mince on to cook, then took that off and put spaghetti on. I need a twin ring cooker when we upgrade things. I added a tin of chopped tomatoes to the mince reheated it quickly, et voila, spaghetti bolognese for tea.
As the weather was still fine we had a little post tea stroll on the promenade, it was rather nippy though.
From there we made out way up to our regular parking spot just outside Bridlington. priorities meant we had a cuppa and get the tv set up. Eventually we got the beds all set up and the boys tucked up into them.





No comments:

Post a Comment